Monday, May 18, 2009

The Next Step

After a particularly un-enjoyable weekend of mourning our latest failed attempt, dealing with raging hormones (thanks, prometrium!), long work hours (Stacey, obviously, not me), and general feelings of irritation and annoyance towards each other caused by all of the above, we each took a deep breath, sat down, and talked things over.

We realized that we may have exhausted our Do-It-Yourself opportunities, and have decided to put our fertility concerns in the hands of professionals. And while playing doctor, keeping it intimate, and conceiving a baby the old fashioned way (well, as old-fashioned as two women could possibly make it) has been fun, the fun is definitely over. It is now just uncomfortable, unpredictable and frustrating. For three attempts we have purchased swimmers, took a shot in the dark (pun intended), and kept our fingers crossed. We've basically been buying $2500 worth of lottery tickets, and expecting to get rich. Well as the daughter of a banker who's been on my case about my financial security for the past 35 years, I've learned that's not exactly a sound plan for success.

So, we are taking the next step, and moving onto in-office IUIs. We called FCI, got a breakdown of costs (for us, fertility treatments are 100% out-of-pocket. Another reason I can't wait to move to MA), and decided that the benefits outweigh the costs. We will wait for my cycle to begin, then go into the office for an ultrasound, come back when we're ready to dance, and do the deed. I think we will do two tries, about 12 hours apart. Adding together the bloodwork, ultrasounds, prescriptions, IUIs, and trigger shots, we're looking at about $1600. Not that much more than we've been paying each month for the "shot-in-the-dark" method.

So now, we just wait for CD1. I stopped taking the prometrium last night, so hopefully my body won't take that long to bounce back to normal. We are just praying I start before the weekend. If it's this weekend or later, there's a good chance I'd be ovulating during our apartment-hunting trip to MA. That would be awful. Is there anything I can do to induce CD1? Coffee? Spicy food? Jumping on a trampoline??? Any and all suggestions welcome.

So, next step, here we come. I really hope this is as far as we have to climb on this wretched ladder of infertility.

3 comments:

  1. Heather once took a triple dose of folic acid when she was late for AF (and definitely not pg) and she started the next morning. I've heard other people say it works and it can't hurt, right?
    I've also heard that if you rub wrists with a woman on her period it can bring yours on, but I've never known that one to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohooo...come on AF...let's go so we can get this party started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let the folic acid and wrist-rubbing begin. Thanks, Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete