Monday, May 11, 2009

Day One

Day One of my new job as "House Manager", and I've got to admit, it was a pretty good day. I felt really proud of myself. See, I'm what they call a "Type B" personality. I've gotten a lot better since my single days (I was a sit around in my underwear, eat cereal out of a mixing bowl kind of slob), but I still usually need a LOT of direction, friendly reminding and gentile prodding in order to get stuff done. Especially when it comes to cleaning. I fully admit it, I can be quite difficult to live with. When it comes to tv parents, I probably most closely resemble Homer Simpson. But I have been presented with a new challenge, and I intend to prove all the doubters wrong. (And by all the doubters, I mean Stacey.)

So today, I did the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, including sweeping, mopping, disinfecting, scouring, scrubbing. Did some research for our upcoming move. Went to lunch with a friend. Walked the dog. Listened to some background music to help keep me focused. I was a woman on a mission. And I'm proud to say that overall, it was a productive day. I mean it wasn't record-breaking by any means, but hell, compared to every first day I had at real, paid-position types of jobs, this was the busier and more productive than all of them. Usually first days include a lot of paperwork, tours around the office, introductions to strange faces and feelings of unease, unfamiliarity and nerves. This was, I'm a little shocked to admit, kind of fun. I immediately transformed from Homer Simpson to June Cleaver as I beat the rugs on the back porch, disinfected the garbage can, and scoured the kitchen sink with Comet. Granted, this whole "housewife" thing is a novelty for me. Usually cleaning the kitchen means moving all the dirty plates from the sink to the dishwasher, so getting on my hands and knees to scrub out a dried food splatter on the floor felt a little foreign. But I actually kind of liked it.

So today the kitchen, tomorrow the bathroom. That's right, I'm on a roll, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment