Sunday, January 3, 2010

Now where was I...?

6 months and 4 days.

That's how long it's been since my last post. There's really no excuse for it. Well, that's not entirely true. But there's really no GOOD excuse for it. Basically (and you can laugh if you want), I thought I was jinxing myself. I thought that by documenting every single step of our TTC journey, I was somehow messing with the baby gods. Kind of like "the pot that is watched never boils" or something. I don't know. All I know is I was tired of writing over and over again how frustrating everything was...the two week waits, the ungodly amounts of money we were flushing down the toilet every month, the putting the whole process aside for months on end for whatever reason -- moving, getting settled, waiting for insurance to kick in. It became a very boring and unhappy blog to write, and (I'm sure) and even more boring and unhappy blog to read.

So I stopped.

Then, in November, after months of waiting for insurance to kick in so we could start TTC again, we realized insurance wasn't going to cover it after all. (Apparently fine-print loopholes we failed to read when we signed up for the coverage.) According to our plan, as a same-sex couple, we had to do 6 IUI's out of pocket before infertility treatments would be covered. We had only done two before we moved to Massachusetts, and had been waiting for the past 4 months. Which was upsetting and frustrating, because it meant we could have been trying all along, instead of just wasting time. So, we decided to start ASAP...if we had to pay for 4 more IUI's anyway, might as well get started immediately. So I called an RE, made an appointment for a consultation the 1st week of November and we were on our way.

To make a long story short, here's how the rest unfolded:

Got my period November 15th.
Went to RE for saline ultrasound November 17th...got the green light.
Went to New York City for a lovely weekend get away November 19th.
Went in for ultrasound on 11/24...3 big follicles...24 mm, 17mm and 14mm.
11/27, the day after Thanksgiving, IUI.
12/8, 10 dpo, 3:45AM, BFP!!!!!!!!!
12/9, 11 dpo, hcg level of 164
12/11, 13 dpo, hcg level of 534
12/17...RE wanted me to come in for an early US to make sure there was only one sac in there. Yep...just one. We are 4w,6d pregnant with one little bean.
12/24, Christmas Eve, second ultrasound. Saw heartbeat. Cried. We are 5w,6d pregnant.

1/3, Today. 7 weeks,2 days pregnant. After feeling extremely nauseous, exhausted and emotional for the past 3 1/2 weeks, with boobs that make me cry out in pain when touched, I finally feel like I am pregnant enough to write about it to the whole world. I no longer feel like I will jinx anything if I blog about it...it's not going to go away just because I'm excited and talking about it. I can document my experiences and feelings and journey, and that doesn't mean it will all just end tomorrow. My paranoia about blogging was silly, I know. Because this is real, it's happening, and in about 33 weeks, we are going to be mothers.

And I promise I will be writing about it ALL THE TIME now.

Glad to see you again. It's been a long time. Talk to you real soon.

Me

1 comment:

  1. I so hear you! I still can't join the queer and pregnant group on the boards... seems to weird and not really possible!
    Welcome back to blogging! Good to see you!

    ReplyDelete