Saturday, June 13, 2009

Perspective

Yesterday was a pretty hard day, I'm not going to lie. I was an emotional basket case all day. I think I cried (sobbed) about 8 times. The icing on the cake was when we went to see Up, in an effort to lift our spirits. Well there was a montage about 5 minutes in that was so very touching, and halfway through that there was a sequence that hit a bit too close to home. I lost my marbles, and starting sobbing once again. Fortunately, the sad part was over within the first ten minutes, and the rest of the movie did its job...we were laughing throughout and our spirits were definitely lifted. It felt nice to laugh after such a devastating day.

I feel much better about our life today than I did yesterday, but it's certainly not because a silly movie made me smile. I just had a hard, cold splash of reality knock me out of my pity party and get a bit of perspective.

Yesterday, a childhood friend of mine told me he and his family were going through a rough time right now. Turns out, his wife (who is my age) has cancer. They just found out, and she is prepping for chemo and radiation. They have 3 kids under the age of 6.

I immediately went from thinking "35 is way too old" to "35 is way too young".

I went from wondering what the hell is wrong with me to being grateful I am so healthy.

I went from being jealous of everyone who had kids to being worried sick about those three boys.

I went from thinking "why not?" for me to "why?" for somebody else.

Suddenly, I am thankful for everything Stacey and I have, not pining for something we don't. And I realized how much this BFN is not a tragedy, and our problems are not so catastrophic.

Nothing like a little perspective, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment