Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Day in the Life (or lack thereof)

Today is exactly two weeks since I've been laid off. Week one was a fun, novel, refreshing reprieve from the crazy rat race I'd been stuck in for the past 13 years. Week two, not so much.

Here is a rough breakdown of my daily activities for the past two weeks:

7am: Wake up, spend some time with Stacey before she goes to work. Walk the dog.

8am-11am: Check my email, baby forums, various blogs, favorite websites, peruse apartment listings. Tell myself to get off the couch and be productive. Check email, baby forums, various blogs, favorite websites, apartment listings one last time, you know, in case anything new popped up.

11am: Get off the couch. Go to the kitchen for something to eat/drink. Make a list of everything I need to get done. Tell myself I will be productive. Start my chores, and then think of something I need to look up online. Get sucked back into checking email, baby forums, various blogs, favorite websites, and apartment listings, real quick, and then that's it for the day.

12pm: All My Children. (Yes, I know, I know. It's humiliating, and I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I tell you, that show is more addicting than crack. I have turned into the quintessential, sterotypical housewife, complete with favorite IQ-melting soap opera.)

1pm: Do chores (for real this time). Go for a walk. Wish I had someplace to actually walk to or someone to walk with. Get bored. Come home. Try to find something to do. Go back online.

2pm: Try to write a post in my blog. Realize my life is a complete bore right now, and I am only able to come up with an inane rundown of my incredibly boring day.

2:15pm: Miss my old job.

2:15:01pm: Snap back into reality and remember that my job sucked the life out of me.

2:17pm: Wish I had some other stay-at-home friends to play with. Or, friends that would let me hang out with them at their jobs while they work. Anything, just so I can be around people again.

2:30-4:30. Study for the GRE. Clean up a little. Maybe get around to taking a shower.

4:30. Start thinking of what to make for dinner. Hopefully come up with something that calls for a trip to the grocery store, just so I can have an excuse to go somewhere.

6pm: Wait for Stacey to get home. Study. Listen to music.

7pm: Wait for Stacey to get home. Hopefully there is a Cubs game to turn on.

8pm: Wait for Stacey to get home. Start dinner.

9pm: Stacey comes home, and I am a puppy delirious with excitement when she walks through the door. Exhaust her by demanding all her attention.

10pm: Realize that after only two weeks, I have turned into a completely bored, dependent, unchallenged, self-pitying, needy, uninteresting shell of my former self. I've got to find something to do with my time. This is ridiculous.

11pm: Right before bed, realize I need to check my email, baby forums, various blogs, favorite websites and apartment listings, one last time. Heaven forbid I miss something really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment